Bob & Mary Johnston Update

As many of you know, Bob & Mary Johnston have come off of the field temporarily due to Mary having Leukemia.  She has been sick for some time now and following some testing and a diagnosis in the Dominican Republic, they decided to come back.  She was too weak to travel so she received several transfusions and once she was able to they got off the plane and headed straight to Barnes Jewish Hospital in St. Louis, Missouri.

They got to the emergency room and she was admitted once they got her blood work back and her temperature began to spike.  They have been running more tests to see if she will be able to withstand chemotherapy treatments and they have been giving her more transfusions because her body is quickly attacking her blood supply.  They attempted to get a bone marrow sample, but could not get one due to how far along she is so they took some bone from her hips and they are awaiting the result of those biopsies to determine the treatment direction.

I am currently at the hospital with them and we were waiting to possibly start the chemo tonight, but it looks like it will happen in the morning.  They will be giving her an experimental chemo treatment that will have her getting a series of shots and a continuous treatment 24 hours a day for a week.  This treatment will no doubt cause her to be very ill, but may also result in her going into cardiac arrest, so we need to pray for her while the treatment is underway.  If this treatment goes without incident, they will test her bone marrow to see if any changes have resulted.  Her brother and sister will be tested for matches for transplant and she will be registered into their matching systems.  We had a great time of prayer and fellowship today and they are doing well considering.  She is able to eat right now so I went and got them some Applebee’s takeout while she still has an appetite.  Bro. Bob’s appetite has remained unchanged…hehe.

I will give further updates tomorrow but would like to ask you to consider a couple of things.  One, that while she is on the 7 day chemo treatment that starts tomorrow, will you consider fasting and praying for her while she goes through that?  Praying that she survives and that it works.  Second, they are in current need of finances to sustain them while they are here at the hospital and will be devastated financially when this process is done…would you please help them?  I love this couple dearly…they are missionary heros and long time friends.  If you would help, please send gifts to c/o Mary Johnston Medical Fund, Berean Baptist Church, PO Box 73042, Puyallup, WA 98373.  Lastly, if her brother and sister are not a match, I would like to ask you and the people from your church would participate with me in getting tested for possible bone marrow matches.  Please help…it has been a tremendous encouragement to them to know how many people are praying.  Mary was overwhelmed when I mentioned the plan to stand beside her in her treatment by fasting and praying during it.  If you are planning to do so, I would like to let her know.  Please pray…please help.

Thank you…

Bro. Reno